Good morning everyone!
I had a hard time with this weeks exercise; I am not really sure why but I think it had to do with the level of stress and anxiety I am currently feeling at work and this makes it difficult to really dive into exercises like this, being new to this whole practice and all. For me personally it wasn't that beneficial because I couldn't figure out how to really get into it. I wasn't sure how to get my mind in line with the mood and idea of the exercise. Don't get me wrong I love the whole concept but I just don't really know how this whole process really works. It's a mindset I know that you have to truly be ready for as well as the desire for it to work and I still haven't become a full believer yet. The sounds within the exercise were soothing but slightly repetitive, almost like they were very short pieces of audio that were set on loop, so it didn't quite feel real. I felt very idle throughout the exercise and I clearly understood what they were saying but I wasn't sure what I was really supposed to be doing. Ultimately I don't think this is beneficial for beginners. But just like our readings say, mental practice takes a lot of effort and time. By doing so it is supposed to allow your body sense of peace, calmness, creativity and wisdom. For me personally I think that I would be able to best implement these mental workouts by teaching myself a sense of peace and relaxation and how I can remove the negative feelings and hatred towards people in my life that have caused me pain that I daily struggle with. Ultimately I know that peace and forgiveness will only heal, it's just something that takes time like all great things in life! Thankfully I am at a point in my life where I want to rid all of my demons and I'm learning great ways to do so in this class.
Thanks to all that follow...
Mrs. Rogers-
Hi Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteYou're not alone on this one. Seems there are a handful of us who have found this week's exercise a bit difficult. This one was a bit too "out there" for me, and the ocean waves and the flute in the background just made me want to sleep (as did the exercises before this one). If mental practice takes a lot of time, at the rate I'm going, it's going to take me forever to get my mind in a strong and healthy place! :)
Donna
Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteI am completely on the same page with you! I was excited to try the exercise but when I started going though it I felt like I wasn’t sure if I was doing it right or where I was supposed to be mentally. I also feel that it would be difficult to constantly project loving kindness all of the time. I am all for working on my patience, optimism, and forgiveness but I already feel that I treat others with kindness and respect unless they do something nasty to me. I guess the point is to get past the basic feelings of frustration and anger but that will definitely take some work! I did enjoy the part where I focused taking the pain and suffering away from my family members and giving them some positive vibes. It was almost like a prayer for them. Otherwise I do not think that I am looking forward to repeating the entire exercise.
Lindsey
I know what you mean! I feel like Julia Roberts in 'Eat, Pray, Love' where she' trying to meditate, but is fidgeting. I just don't get into the feel of the mp3 lessons. I do better with a book, or lecture. It is hard to get through the anger you feel for others sometimes, but that's part of the learning I guess.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to both of us!