Monday, May 20, 2013

My Final Project: A Puzzle Piece of My Chaotic Life

What a journey this has been; I will never forget the lessons I have learned throughout this course!

My Final Project:

Health and wellness professionals have a need to foster and develop their physical, psychological and spiritual health for so many reasons.  The most important reason in my opinion is that to be able to help anyone else is able to heal in any way and adopt a healthier lifestyle you yourself must also adopt the necessary methods for integral health because otherwise we are not going to be able to help anyone in the ways that they truly need.  As we have learned in our readings throughout this course, the most important part of teaching others how to fulfill and reach integral health the professional is the glue to this process and its growth, (Dacher, 2006).  For example, say I want to teach someone how to speak another language, I must know how to speak this language myself and I must also participate in using this other language every day of my life or it can easily over time be forgotten from being unused.  Just like everything aspect what we learn from day one to now, we must practice everything that we want to succeed in or otherwise there is not a point.  We must adopt all methods to achieve a healthy physical, psychological and spiritual well-being or we will not be able to help anyone else gain their own integral health. If we cannot do that, then we have no reason for anyone to trust us. 

I have to work on all of these aspects continually to develop and achieve my own goals because they are a work in progress and always will be.  I cannot one day develop these areas to an optimal note and then let them go.  I have to work on them for the rest of my life.

Throughout the past nine weeks, I have assessed my health in each different domain, spirituality, physically, and psychologically.  Most of what I have found is that of what I already knew but I have been able to find great areas that really need my attention.  My physical well-being is in the best shape it ever has been in my life.  I still have areas within it that I need to work on such as eating a better balanced diet every day and ensuring that I take in enough energy.  I also need more time specifically devoted to physical exercise.  It is in my nature and ultimate goal for my life to continue being as health as I can be and always work on this area.  My psychological development has much work to do and lots of time, that needs put into it.  I have lived my life with many scary, sad, traumatizing and heartbreaking times without getting the necessary help that my body needed.  I have let most of the negative things in my past life define a lot of my personality and emotions with only my own control over a portion of it.  I have hit my body’s ultimate rock bottom and I now know more than ever how important it is for my overall health.  I have started the healing process that I must take in order to carve out the true and amazing person that I am.  The woman that my family loves so much.  Now that I have been able to make the conscious decision to heal and find my internal happiness, I have only that intention.  I cannot go down, only up from this point.  I am in counseling now and I am sticking to a positive and healthy side of life.  Once I get through all of this, I will have defeated my most difficult fears.  My spiritual side throughout my life has also been extremely weak.  I let it fall so far that I never knew how to get it back.  Now I can see it again finally and I am holding onto it with everything I can.  I have started daily prayer, meditation, the use of mantra, therapy, only thinking positively, loving myself, and pulling my family as close to me as I possibly can.  I have learned so much about myself these last few years of my life and I have so many to thank for that.  My husband is my greatest hero, always will be and I can never forget everything he has helped me to see within myself as well as the guidance he has given me that helped me to get where I am today.  I have my spirituality back and I do not know what I would do without it now. 

Making my own goals is extremely important for me right now, more than ever.  Physically as I previously stated, I must work towards a more balanced-nutritious daily diet.  I must eat at least three meals a day and include all of the varieties of foods that I need no matter what.  I am taking vitamins and nourishing my body with plenty of water.  The goal for my psychological health is to continue my therapy, get through, and face all of my fears.  I will not give up on therapy this time and I will not give up until I confront it all.  The goal for my spirituality is to continue the path that I am on with it, continue my daily devotion, prayer, meditation, and attending religious services that I have been.  I am going to continue to lean on my spirituality rather than pretend I do not need it.  These goals are all a lot of work together but I know that I can do it. 

For each domain of my health, I have several things that I can exercise to promote growth within them all.  I personally see all of these areas as intertwined so most of this all relates to each area on its own.  I am going to devote time daily to prayer, and this does not only affect my spiritual side but it affects my psychological side, it also affects my physical being.  If I foster a healthy mind and spirituality, I am only going to better my physical health.  Whether my prayer be included with reading, music, or meditation it will positively affect my overall well-being.  A second practice I am going to foster to help each area of my well-being would be journaling and being an artist.  Writing down my thoughts and feelings and drawing things that make me happy are two different healthy practices that I can do to help my physical, psychological and spiritual well-being.  Journaling helps me to relax my mind and vent any negative emotions that I might encompass.  It also helps me to express things that I may not be able to in any other way.  Drawing cartoons has a therapeutic affect to my mind as it draws me away from stress.  It creates a clear and calm mind that allows me to relax.  No matter if, I only exercise these practices for ten minutes a day that is ten more minutes of relaxation than I would have if I did not.  These practices will help to relieve my mind of stress, clear my head of fears and negative thoughts, and a simple way for me to live my life in a positive and healthy manner.  Which affects my physical health again, as well as my psychological and spiritual side? 

I will assess my progress in these areas in the next six months first because it is necessary to hold myself accountable for my goals.  I am not afraid of failing to achieve these goals because it is my choice to do so.  That leaves me with the ability to want to reassess my progress rather than hide from it as I have done so many times in my life.  I know what is important more than ever now and I not let anything come between my achieving these goals.  Strategies that I can use to achieve this will be communicating my goals to my loved ones because we all need a little push sometimes and they will not let me back down on taking care of myself.  I am also going to practice using daily reminders and calendars to keep my on task with these goals so I will not have a chance to lose any of them.  It might be tedious at first but in the end, it will be worth it.  I will include my family and loved ones in all of my healthy practices so that they can also develop their overall health as well, which will ultimately help each one of us.  If we all work together, we will have each other to lean on and always reach out to when we need help.  Life choices such as I am working towards are easier to attain when you have to share your experience.
 
The End-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to thank everyone for following and listening.  I hope you were able to learn something about yourself such as I have.  Live your life to the fullest and make sure you don't ever stop striving toward your integral health!
 
Your Friend,
Mrs. Rogers-

2 comments:

  1. I really have enjoyed following your posts over this class period. I think you're doing a great job with your nutrition, and deciding to take more time to exercise.

    Have you considered signing up for a 5k or something like that? It makes you train because you pre-paid for it. I do that to guilt myself into training. And... you get a shirt and sometimes a medal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is very inspiring and I love how connected you are with your body. I also feel that I am in the best shape of my life, but feel I will always continue to grow in that area because things are always changing, I am getting older, and it is important to change it up sometimes.

    ReplyDelete